Bulgur balls recipe (Fellah Kofte) is a very good alternative for vegetarian and vegan (without yogurt) people in the Turkish Kitchen. Although it looks difficult to make, it is pretty easy and a good option if you lack of time but still desiring to prepare a nice dinner for your family, friends or only for yourself;) Once you try it, İt will be one of your favourite vegetarian recipe ever. Enjoy our Meatless meatballs recipe from Turkish cuisine!
Bulgur Balls with Yoghurt Sauce Recipe
- 300 g fine bulgur
- 400 ml hot water
- 70 g semolina
- 1 grated onion
- 2 grated garlic
- 500 g yogurt
- 50 g flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon of ground red pepper
- 50 ml of oil
- 20 g of butter
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon of mint
- Pour bulgur, semolina, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 400 ml of hot water into a bowl.
- Mix for 3 minutes, cover, and let it swell for 10 minutes.
- Pour 1 grated onion, 50 g of flour, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon of tomato paste, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon chili pepper and knead for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour on a baking sheet. Make hazelnut-sized balls with bulgur, press in the center, and place on the tray.
- Pour 2 liters of hot water and 1 teaspoon of salt into a pan. Cook the bulgur balls for 10 minutes, take them with a strainer and let them cool.
- Pour 500 g of yogurt, 1 teaspoon of salt, half a teaspoon of black pepper, 2 tablespoons of water, 1 tablespoon of oil into a bowl. Mix for 1 minute.
- Add 20 g of margarine, 50 ml of oil, and 2 grated garlic in a pan. After roasting for 1 minute, add 1 teaspoon of mint and 1 teaspoon of ground red pepper. Fry for another minute.
- Put the bulgur balls on a plate. Add the yogurt sauce first and then the oil sauce and serve.